Font size A A A

Application Process – Frequently Asked Questions

What school leaving certificate must I possess in order to be admitted to the course?

Please find information concerning university entry qualifications here: ⇒ Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB)

Is there a Numerus Clausus (restriction on numbers entering)?

No, the Catholic University of Mainz does not have a numerus clausus, but it does have an intake cap. For all further details please see under Other Matters (“What are my chances of getting a place on the course?”).

What prerequisites do I need to meet in order to begin studying without an Abitur certificate or certificate of aptitude for specialized higher education?

• A vocational training course awarding a professional qualification plus a grade of at least 2.5 gained here in Germany, followed by two years’ professional work or comparable activity
• A vocational training with a professional qualification and a grade of at least 2.5 gained in a foreign country so long as appropriate recognition is provided. And that training to be followed by 2 years’ professional or comparable work
• A master craftsman’s diploma or alternatively a comparable final examination (for example, in child care) awarding a qualification

For further information, please see HERE.

What language skills do I have to provide evidence of?

Students, who have been awarded their university entry qualification at a non-German-speaking school, must produce evidence to show they have mastered the German language to B2 level. The university will decide on exceptions. Language courses and exams are offered by universities, adult colleges etc.

English language ability at B2 level must also be proven.

Provisional admission with B1 level language ability is possible. Registration is annulled if B2 level ability cannot be demonstrated after one year.

Evidence of language ability

If you wish to study at a university in Germany you will need a university entry qualification. If you have gained an entrance certificate abroad, this has to be checked to see if it is the equivalent of a German university entry qualification. All individuals who have not acquired their university entry qualification in Germany nor at a school with German Abitur examination regulations (for example, A levels, High School Diploma, baccalaureat etc.) must submit pre-examination documentation from ⇒ uni-assist together with their application.

Who is exempt from these regulations?

• Students who wish to study for 1-2 semesters at the Catholic University, for example those at partner universities with whom there is a cooperation agreement.

• Individuals who have successfully passed an assessment test at a preparatory college (Studienkolleg) and have had foreign educational qualifications officially recognised and been awarded an average overall grade.

• Degree course applicants who can already provide proof that their foreign educational qualifications have been officially approved in Germany together with an average overall grade.

The nationality of applicants is irrelevant.

For further information, please see HERE.

Do I need to be Catholic or of any other religious faith in order to study at the Catholic University of Mainz?

The Catholic University of Mainz is a state-approved university of the (arch-) dioceses of Cologne, Limburg, Mainz, Speyer and Trier. It is open to interested individuals from different denominational backgrounds and religious faiths, but also to people who are not religiously involved.

When can one apply?

The period in which one may apply runs from 1st February until 30st June of each specific year.

How can I apply and what do I need to do so?

An application must be entered online via the web portal of the Catholic University of Mainz. The kathiNet web portal can be found HERE.

In order to submit the application electronically you will need, together with the formal prerequisites, an internet enabled PC and an active email address.

As a first step you have to be able to access us online. To do that you need to enter your email address. Please pay special attention to the correct wording as the access information will be sent to you via the address you have given.

The application will only be registered if it has actually been sent off by yourself!

What happens after my application has been sent off?

You will be sent confirmation by email that we have received your application. This will contain a processing number that your application is filed under.

This email will contain an instruction for payment of the processing fee (10 euros) and the relevant bank details.

Please ad here to the deadline given in the email.

When do I have to send certificates and other documents to the Catholic University of Mainz?

Please send certificates and other documents, such as a personal statement, to the Catholic University of Mainz only when you have been instructed to do so! This generally happens from mid-June onwards.

If you are making a claim for hardship support or have a foreign university entry qualification, then the printed out application forms together with all relevant documentation must be submitted immediately after you have activated the electronic application.

How do I make a claim for hardship support?

You will find all the necessary information during the application period at the end of your online application under the heading “hardship claims”. Here you can make a special claim for hardship support and then send in your documents by post.

Who can I aproach if I have questions about the course and the application procedure?

Contact: bewerbung[at]kh-mz(dot)de

Can I also apply for the course if I possess non-standard qualifications?

Yes, you can apply to enter the course at a higher level. You will find further information HERE. Please note the registration deadlines.

How much will the course cost?

No study fees are charged for the course. Please consult the ⇒ fees regulations (“Gebührenordnung”) of the Catholic University of Mainz to obtain information about the contribution amounts payable for registering, for the re-registration each term, as well as for being issued a student identity card. There is also a payment required for the semester ticket, which may be reclaimed in justified exceptional cases.

What possibilities are available to fund my studies?

You may at any time submit a claim for ⇒ Bafög (Support for Education and Training) or apply for a study loan from the ⇒ KfW-Förderbank.

Further information for international students may be found ⇒ HERE.

What are my chances of getting a place on the course?

University places are awarded on the basis of a points system into which the average grade of the entrance qualification certificate is entered. There are, where applicable, additional points given for time spent abroad, knowledge of foreign languages, for military service or community service, for voluntary services, for vocational training / vocational employment, for time spent teaching and caring, and for any types of voluntary work.

In addition, we would like you to send us a personal statement, to which we will attach great importance. This should clearly illustrate why you are applying for this particular degree course and what your goals are, and show that you clearly understand that this course differs fundamentally from that for Social Work.

Who can I consult if I have any technical problems?

If you have forgotten a password, please use the appropriate function in kathiNet.

You can go to kathiNet-Support at the Catholic University of Mainz at any time should you encounter technical problems or have any questions: support.kathinet[at]kh-mz(dot)de