Migration and integration are topics of the future that will bring about change to our society in the long term. They will result in many new challenges in fields including politics, the economy and culture, as well as education, health and social services. Do you wish to help shape this change? This Bachelor's degree will teach you all the skills required to do so. Your extensive practical experience and experiences gained abroad will benefit you in equal measure to your diverse language skills. Equipped with this expertise, you will be highly sought after on the labour market!
Quick facts about the course
• You will obtain the academic Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.).
• The full-time study programme takes place in person and is a modular course.
• The standard course length is eight semesters (six semesters in Germany and two semesters abroad).
• A total of 240 credit points are earned through the course.
• Credits obtained at another university shall be recognised as long as the scope and contents do not deviate significantly. Any equivalent skills and qualifications obtained shall be recognised as up to one quarter of the university course.
• We do not require you to pay tuition fees. As with any university, you only pay a semester fee for your semester ticket and other services. This fee currently stands at 320 euros. You may receive a refund for part of the fee under certain conditions.
• The course is offered annually, commencing in the winter semester.
What awaits you
This degree programme is unique in Germany because it addresses the topics of migration and integration against the backdrop of the social sciences, with the help of sociological, political and economic approaches for example. The course focuses on questions such as: What makes societies today? How do they change? And what does that mean for the future? Furthermore, you learn to scientifically explore social conditions and their backgrounds and understand legal contexts. International perspectives are taken into account wherever possible.
Language skills and practical experience at home and abroad play a major role throughout: Teaching takes place in German and English, with a third language added during the course of study. The study programme also includes a compulsory year abroad, which you can undertake either at a university or in a practical institution. During the final year of the course, it is intended that you participate in project-related collaboration with a professionally relevant organisation.
What you should bring with you
You should know beforehand: We are a cosmopolitan university and we welcome people of all religions as well as those of no religious denomination. Vital is that you share our humanistic values. To embark on this degree programme, you should also be open and interested in social science outlooks in general and in particular in the subjects of migration and integration. You should also be keen to participate in a lively and engaged learning group in a variety of ways and to challenge your own perspectives from time to time. If you also satisfy the following requirements, you can submit a direct application to us for a place on our degree course:
• You either possess the general or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification, or the advanced technical college entrance qualification.
• Or you have completed vocational training with a grade of 2.5 or better. Alternatively, you are able to demonstrate further professional qualification in the form of a master craftsman's examination or a comparable examination.
• Furthermore, you should be able to demonstrate good German and English language skills (level B2).